- 4 scallions, trimmed and coarsely chopped – ½ cup
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic – 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 teaspoons of grated lemon zest and 1 tablespoon fresh juice (1 lemon), plus 1 more lemon, peel and pith removed, cut into 1/8th inch rounds.
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of coarsely chopped fresh ginger (from a peeled fresh 2 inch piece of ginger)
- 1 cup packed cilantro (remove large stems)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of Harissa paste
- ½ -1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 whole chicken (3 ½ to 4 pounds) cut up
- 2 small onions cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 1/3 cup of Green Jalapeño Original Hell of-a Jelly
- In a food processor, pulse scallions, garlic, lemon zest, ginger and cilantro until finely chopped. Add oil, Harissa, Lemon juice, and 1-tablespoon salt; process until a paste forms.
- Spread half of paste under and over the chicken and into any cavities. Arrange onions in a large cast iron skillet Place chicken on top, skin side up. Let stand at room temperature for about an hour, or refrigerate uncovered, up to 8 hours. (Bring to room temperature before roasting).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and roast chicken for 25 minutes.
- Combine Hell of-a Jelly with the remaining paste mixture. After the 25 minutes, spread the mixture on top of the chicken.
- Continue roasting until the thermometer, inserted into the thickest part of thigh (do not touch the bone) reads 160 degrees, about 20 minuets more. Let stand 10 minutes; serve.